Shirantha Beddage is a baritone saxophonist, composer and educator from Toronto, Canada. His original music combines hard bop and modern jazz to create a sound that is both accessible and sophisticated.
He has released three critically-acclaimed albums as a leader: Roots and Branches, Identity (2013 JUNO nominee) and Momentum (2017 JUNO nominee). As a side musician, he has been featured on recordings with the Order of Canada Band, Suzie Arioli, Laila Biali, Nancy Walker, Mike Downes and many others. His compositional skills have won him accolades such as the Montreal Jazz Festival Galaxie Rising Star Award, recognitions at the Canadian Songwriting Competition, and placements in the Emmy-winning TV series “Fargo”.
Shirantha currently serves as Professor of Music in the Humber College Bachelor of Music program, where he teaches courses in Music Theory, Pedagogy, and Ensemble. He also adjudicates regularly at festivals throughout the country including MusicFest Canada, where he serves as Vice-Chairman of Instrumental Jazz. His innovative teaching methods have earned him national recognition as an Apple Distinguished Educator. He holds a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Jazz Studies from the Eastman School of Music, a Master of Music degree in Jazz Studies from William Paterson University, and a Bachelor of Music degree from Humber College.
Shirantha is a Yamaha saxophone artist and performs on the YBS-62.
For more information, please visit http://www.shiranthabeddage.com/
Selected Awards and Achievements
- 2017: JUNO award nominee as leader (Momentum)
- 2017: JUNO award nominee as sideman (Order of Canada Band: Sweet Canadiana)
- 2017: Canadian Songwriting Competition Finalist (honourable mention for the song “Momentum: For Bernard Hermann”)
- 2014: Composed and performed music for the Golden-Globe nominated FX TV series Fargo
- 2013: Galaxie Rising Star Award winner, Montreal Jazz Festival (for the compositions “Baker’s Dozen” and “Winds of Change”)
- 2013: JUNO award nominee as leader (Identity)
Interviews and Reviews
- Interview for OttawaJazzScene.ca (2019)
- Review of Momentum in the Whole Note Magazine (2016)
- Review of Momentum on All About Jazz (2016)
- Review of Momentum on jazzdagama.com (2016)
- Interview with Michael Bourne, 2013 (WBGO, New York City)
- Interview for The Jazz Session podcast, hosted by Jason Crane, December 2013
- Interview on CBC Fresh Air with Mary Ito, February 2013 (click link and scroll down)
- Review of Identity in The Whole Note Magazine, March 2013
- Review of “Roots and Branches” in Cadence magazine, 2007 (PDF)