Areas of Expertise
In addition to being a performer and composer, Shirantha Beddage is a dedicated, passionate and versatile educator. As the Head of Theory and Harmony in the Humber College Bachelor of Music program, he has been nationally recognized for his integration of theory and practice using hands-on training and innovative technologies. As an adjudicator at national level music festivals including MusicFest Canada, he encourages critical listening and collaboration through performance. As a guest artist and clinician, he utilizes his skills as a performer and composer to communicate the language of jazz to students of all ages.
Guest Artist Clinics, Workshops and Adjudications
Shirantha is available for clinics and workshops on a variety of subjects, including jazz ensemble pedagogy, improvisation, theory and improvisation . He is a highly experienced adjudicator, having worked with numerous jazz ensembles at the high school, middle school and college level in the United States and Canada, including frequent participation in MusicFest Canada where he serves as adjudicator and Vice-Chairman of Instrumental Jazz. He has also worked extensively as a clinician with educators, through interactive workshops at educational conferences.
If you’ve been to one of Shirantha’s clinics and you need a copy of a handout, visit the Handouts page.
Apple Distinguished Educator
Shirantha is a proud member of the Apple Distinguished Educator program, a community of over 2500 teachers worldwide who have been recognized for their innovative use of Apple technology. To learn more about the ADE program, visit ade.apple.com.
Publications and Achievements
- Apple Distinguished Educator, Class of 2017
- Recognized as one of Humber College’s “50 Fearless Faculty” (Humber Showcase 2017)
- Featured article on Shirantha in ContactNorth.ca Pockets of Innovation Series (Government of Ontario), 2016
- Feature video / contributing speaker at the Humber College North Space gallery symposium, “Defining the Digital” (2016)
- Contributing author, Jazz Pedagogy a Canadian Perspective (1st and 2nd ed.), Creative Canadian Jazz Voice Publications
- Contributing musician, Developing Musicianship Through Improvisation, v.2 and 3, GIA Music (also available as an iPhone and iPad app through Apple App Store)